Tuesday 10 May 2011

Sleeping in India

I recently received this [below]and a couple more pictures from Sara. a friend from Sangath, in an e-mail. i was delighted to see the e-mail, that someone could remember me and go out of their way to pick the photographs and send them to me. there are some very thoughtful people in this world. and i met a lot of them in India. may they continue to be thoughtful! a story to note i heard from abdal aziz fredricks.
 Hatim al assam [my spelling may be off] a great great scholar. A woman came to him to ask a question. She came to him, about to ask the question..... and what happens? she breaks wind. she is so embarrassed
 and he sees how embarrassed she is. and he says to her, whats your question!? she asked the question. I can't hear you! he shouts.
 the woman stops and raises her voice. I STILL CAN"T HEAR YOU. WHAT DID YOU SAY? he turns to the people around him and says WHAT DID SHE SAY? Write it down! the scholar shouts.
so the woman begins to write the question down. OH! sorry i didn't hear you. as she was writing the question down. she begins to feel cool. "the guys deaf he didn't hear me, break wind she thinks". 
Hatim al Assam is called Hatim al Assam, the deaf one. for 20 years he pretended to be deaf!! to make the woman feel good about herself.... What people.

1 comment: